- Install your programmable thermostat on an interior wall, away from heating or cooling vents and other sources of heat or drafts.
- Avoid locating your thermostat above or near appliances such as lamps, televisions or other appliances that give off heat.
Programming Your Thermostat
Here are a few simple tips to maximize the benefit of your programmable thermostat:
- During the winter, lower the temperature when no one is home and at night when everyone is sleeping.
- In the summer, raise the temperature a few degrees during the day and program cooling for your return home.
- In the morning, set the timer to warm or cool a little before you wake up.
- Keep the temperature stable for long periods of time – at least eight hours.
- Minimize use of the override features. You’ll use more energy and pay more on energy bills.