Pool Heater Energy Efficiency
Once the pool is heated, you can take a number of steps to improve your pool's energy efficiency and decrease heat loss.
What to look for
Consider the efficiency rating and the ignition system when shopping for a pool heater.
- Energy efficiency - The most efficient natural gas pool heaters boast a 95 per cent efficiency rating. And a natural gas water heater heats your pool faster than an electric unit.
- Ignition system - An electronic ignition saves energy by lighting the pilot light only when needed.
- Size - Make sure you choose the right size heater. An undersized heater will take longer to heat your pool and result in higher operating costs.
Tips to save energy:
- Thermostat - Set the thermostat to keep your pool at a consistent temperature – the ideal water temperatures range from 25 to 28 degrees Celsius.
- Solar pool cover - You can see a heat gain of up to 10-15 degrees when you consistently use a solar pool cover. An uncovered pool loses 30 per cent of its heat every day and 10,000 litres of water every month.