Natural Gas Smell
You can't see or taste natural gas so we made sure you can smell it. A harmless gas called mercaptan is added to natural gas to make it smell like rotten eggs (or sulphur). Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms can't detect a gas leak, but your nose can.
No energy source is safer or more reliable than natural gas. Leaks are rare but if one does occur, you need to know what to do to keep your home and family safe.
Natural gas isn't toxic but it's highly flammable. Here's what to do if you smell that smell:
- Act quickly and remain calm.
- Go outside or leave the area immediately.
- Call our 24-hour emergency number at 1-877-969-0999 or 911 from a safe distance (like a neighbour's home).
- Never assume someone has already called.
Follow these safety precautions
- Don't use phones or electronics near the leak.
- Don't turn appliances or lights on or off.
- Don't smoke or use lights or matches.
- Don't start any vehicles or motors.
- If leaking natural gas is burning, call 911 — don't attempt to put the fire out yourself.
Smell rotten eggs?
Use your legs!
Make sure everyone in your household knows what to do if they smell a gas leak. WATCH AND STAY SAFE
There are four signs of a gas leak:
Smell: Strong rotten egg or sulphur-like smell
Sight: Bubbles in standing water, wet or flooded areas. Patches of dead grass or "frosting" of white dust on the ground
Sound: Hissing noise from a pipe or appliance
Natural gas is highly flammable. If you suspect a leak:
- Get away from the area
- Don't start motors or motor vehicles near the area
- Don't use matches or lighters and don't smoke
- Call us at 1-877-969-0999 or 911 from a neighbour's home
In the event of a natural gas emergency, our emergency response team or local community authority will:
- Respond to the incident site
- Identify the source of the problem and ensure the emergency site has been cleared of anyone whose safety may be at risk
- Make the situation safe
- Advise the customer of their options with respect to the piping system or gas-fired equipment repair