Switch to natural gas
Natural gas is on your street
Switching to natural gas in your neighbourhood is easy and has considerable savings. Find out how to get connected if there is natural gas on your street.
Get in touch with a local heating contractor
- Your heating contractor will work with us to confirm that
there is natural gas close by, recommend the best system for your home and apply for a new
gas service on your behalf.
- You can find contractors online using the Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada
(HRAI) dealer locator,
the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) contractor
locator or the Yellow Pages.
We recommend you get multiple quotes from TSSA-registered heading contractors.
- You can verify that the heating contractor is
registered by calling the TSSA at 1-877-682-8772 and selecting option four.
Set up your new Union Gas account
You must set up your Union Gas Account in order to move forward in the process.
Underground services will be located and marked
- This is a critical step. For your safety, natural gas service will not be installed until Union Gas or one of our authorized contracted partners contacts you.
- A meeting will be scheduled to locate and mark all existing underground services.
- Access to the inside of your home will be needed to ensure
your new gas line won't interfere with your sewer connection.
We will contact you when we are ready to install your service (See below for service installation times).
Underground gas service will be installed
- Union Gas or one of our authorized contracted partners will come to your home with a construction crew to install your new gas line.
- If any lawn or topsoil needs to be restored after installation, this will be scheduled when weather conditions permit.
New equipment will be installed, gas meter activated and safety inspection completed
- Your heating contractor will make an appointment to install your new equipment and remove the old equipment.
- At the same appointment, your contractor will arrange for your meter to be installed and activated.
- Your new equipment will be turned on and, in accordance with the Technical Standards and Safety Act, we will then conduct a safety inspection.
Other important information to know
Do not disconnect your fuel source or remove any equipment until
after your new natural gas service has been installed and the appointment
for your meter activation has been booked.
Be aware that depending on your location, construction may cease during winter months.
We will hold your request until the following construction season and review the cost,
if any, when we update our pricing in the spring.
Service installation times
After we receive your application, we need approximately six to eight weeks
to install the gas service. Extreme weather, unusual construction conditions,
or delays getting permits or locates could extend this timeframe.
In areas that have less pipeline growth or are outside of our core zones,
this timeline could be extended to 10 weeks or more. Please visit
Remote Locations to see if your location is in one of these zones.
We will install a residential natural gas line of up to 30 metres in pipe length
at no charge. This distance is measured from the gas meter to the property line,
following the path the pipe takes through the ground. Depending on the meter location we
may not be able to take the most direct route.
If the installed pipe is longer than 30 metres, the excess length will
be charged at a rate of $45 per metre (plus HST). There is also a one-time
$35 connection fee to open your account, a $21 monthly fee and we may ask for a security deposit. These charges will be applied to your Union Gas bill.
These charges will be applied to your Union Gas bill.
Replacement Charges (if applicable)
Properties that were previously serviced by Union Gas where the natural gas service line has been abandoned are subject to Replacement Charges of $80 per metre (plus HST).