Water Heater Buying Tips
Understanding your family's hot water usage and energy-efficiency goals will help you select a water heating system.
We deliver natural gas to you but we do not sell, rent, or service gas appliances.
Choose a contractor
In Ontario, qualified Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractors must be licensed and registered with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA). Find a contractor in your area on the TSSA website.
- A contractor will recommend a water heating system based on your water heating needs and home configuration.
- The estimate should include details on equipment, efficiency, the warranty as well as removal of the old equipment. The contractor should also inform you of any incentives available.
Select a water heating system
- Choose from a storage tank, an energy-efficient tankless, or combination water and space heating system.
- Consider both the purchase price and on-going operating costs in your decision. Higher efficiency means lower on-going operating costs. Learn about water heater energy-efficiency.
- Decide whether to rent or own your new water heater.
- Select an anti-scald valve and venting system.
If you are installing natural gas for first time, sign up for an account while your contractor arranges for the installation of your service through us. See switch to natural gas for more information.
Other shopping resources