Water Heater Buying Tips
Understanding your family's hot water usage and energy-efficiency goals will help you select a water heating system.
Union Gas delivers gas to you but we do not sell, rent, or service gas appliances.
Choose a contractor
In Ontario, qualified Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractors must be licensed and registered with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA). Find a contractor in your area on the TSSA website.
- A contractor will recommend a water heating system based on your water heating needs and home configuration.
- The estimate should include details on equipment, efficiency, the warranty as well as removal of the old equipment. The contractor should also inform you of any incentives available.
Select a water heating system
- Choose from a storage tank, an energy-efficient tankless, or combination water and space heating system.
- Consider both the purchase price and on-going operating costs in your decision. Higher efficiency means lower on-going operating costs. Learn about water heater energy-efficiency.
- Decide whether to rent or own your new water heater.
- Select an anti-scald valve and venting system.
If you are installing natural gas for first time, sign up for a Union Gas account while your contractor arranges for the installation of your service through Union Gas. See switch to natural gas for more information.
Other shopping resources