Outdoor Products Buying Tips
Where to buy
Consult a retailer or TSSA-licensed natural gas contractor to find a barbecue, outdoor fireplace, lighting, patio or pool heater that fits your needs, budget and outdoor living space.
Union Gas delivers gas to you but we do not sell, rent, or service gas appliances.
- You can install outdoor natural gas-fired equipment almost anywhere. You'll need to extend your gas service to the desired location. Learn about installation and connection types.
- Make sure there is enough clear space for the safe use of your new equipment.
- For maximum efficiency, locate your new natural gas equipment or appliances in a sheltered area, protected from the wind.
Measure the size of the area you want to heat or light and decide on your desired temperature. It's important to select the most energy-efficient model for your budget. An undersized unit may cost less to purchase but can result in higher operating costs.
Installation must be done by a licensed Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor registered with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA).
If you are adding a number of different fixtures, you may need to update your natural gas meter or service.
- Permanent post is used when the natural gas equipment remains permanently in one location.
- Quick connect is an option for barbecues and patio heaters that gives you the freedom to easily connect and disconnect your natural gas equipment by yourself. This is handy if you want to move your equipment.
Fire & Building codes
Check with your local building and fire departments for installation regulations. Make sure you or your contractor obtain any required permits.
New Home construction
If you are building a new home, ask your builder to rough in a gas line to the backyard for future use.