Understanding Your Bill
Managing your energy costs starts with understanding your natural gas bill. Use the legend below to understand the sections of your bill.
First bill for a new account
You will receive your first bill within approximately 30 days of starting your natural gas service. Bills are sent monthly based on the meter reading schedule for your home. Your first bill is different because it includes the Connection/Transfer fee, security deposit if applicable, plus your usual monthly charges.
- Billing period - the dates for which you're being billed.
- Account number - 14-digit number that identifies your account. You'll need it for Internet banking, telephone banking and we'll ask for it when you call us.
- Service address - address of the meter being billed.
- Meter number - identifies the meter at the service address.
- Contact numbers - If you smell gas or are concerned about a gas leak use the Gas Emergencies number, otherwise use the Customer Contact Centre
number for general questions.
- Summary of what you owe - summarizes the balance forward from previous bills, any new charges, the total payment due and the pay by date.
- Message area- contains messages for your specific account like Equal Billing Plan (EBP) changes or late payment alerts.
- Energy profile - includes a graph of your gas consumption and weather information. It may also include important messages about your account.
- Update on your Equal Billing Plan (EBP) - for customers on the Equal Billing Plan, this section shows the current status of your EBP account after the current bill is paid.
- Message area - contains messages that go to all customers such as safety tips.
- Billing address - address where we mail your bill, which may differ from the service address. To change your billing address, log in to MyAccount or call us.
- Return mailing address - if mailing your payment, include the bottom portion of the bill with your cheque and please write your account number on the cheque. Also ensure our address shows through the window of the return envelope provided.
- Account stub information - the summary information used by us or your financial institution to process your payment. If you are on our pre-authorized Automatic Payment Plan (APP), your payment withdrawal date will show here.
Reverse side of your bill:
- Bill calculation - details the components of your natural gas services and the rates associated with each. Our rates are regulated by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB), which reviews them quarterly to ensure they are fair and equitable to consumers. If you have a contract with a retail energy marketer, this is where the name and telephone number would be located.
- Gas used - the cost of the actual natural gas commodity that your household (or business) has consumed during the past month. It varies with the amount of gas you use. We pass these costs to our customers without mark-up.
- Gas and Transportation price adjustments - the difference between our forecast and actual costs for natural gas and to transport it to Ontario. These price adjustments are made quarterly to either refund or collect the difference so that you only pay the actual costs for these services.
Transportation to Enbridge Gas - the cost to transport natural gas from where it was produced into our distribution system in Ontario. It varies with the amount of gas you use, and the pipeline system used to bring it into the province. We pass these costs through to our customers without mark up. (Note: as of Jan 1, 2017, this cost is included in the gas used charge for customers in Southern Ontario. These customers will no longer see a separate Transportation to Enbridge Gas line item on their bill).
- Storage - the charge to store the gas until it is needed.
- Delivery - the cost to deliver natural gas from our distribution system to your home or business.
- Monthly charge - the set amount charged to each customer regardless of the amount of gas used. It partially covers the cost of maintaining a safe gas distribution system 24 hours a day, every day. $1 of this charge supports natural gas expansion projects in rural and Indigenous communities across Ontario.
- HST - the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) will appear in this section only for customers on the Equal Billing Plan (EBP). If you are not on the EBP, your HST amount is shown on the front of your bill in the Summary section.
- Federal Carbon Charge - The charge applied to natural gas as part of the federal government’s carbon pollution pricing program. All of the money collected for this charge goes to the federal government.
- Charges this billing period - for our EBP customers, this section shows the current monthly instalment amount now due.
- Payment Options - lists the different ways you can pay your natural gas bill.
- Gas you used this period - lists the meter readings for the current and previous month. The difference between these two readings is the amount of natural gas you have consumed, which is used to calculate your monthly charges. To calculate your energy consumption more accurately, a Barometric Pressure factor, based on your elevation, is assigned to your location.
- Service Messages - this section of your bill contains detailed information about specific charges on your bill such as the monthly charge, as well as details some of our processes such as meter reading.