Carbon monoxide awareness week is November 1 to 7
Protect your family from this 'silent killer'
What you can’t see, smell or taste can harm you and your family. Carbon monoxide (CO) is poisonous and every household that has fuel-burning appliances needs to be aware of the risks.
CO is a leading cause of accidental poisonings in Ontario every year
CO can build up in your home when you have malfunctioning or poorly maintained fuel-burning equipment, or when venting is damaged or obstructed, such as a blocked chimney.
Protect yourself and your family:
- Every year have the fuel-burning equipment in your home, such as your furnace and fireplace, inspected and maintained by a Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) registered heating contractor.
- If your home has a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage, you’re legally required to install a CO alarm near all bedrooms.