March InTouch logo, bird sitting on a tree branch

More reasons to feel warmly toward natural gas.

Did you know the natural gas that heats your home also fights tooth decay?

The fact is, natural gas is used to make over 6,000 products — like toothbrushes — that you use every day. Hydrocarbons, the natural organic compounds that make up natural gas, are an essential ingredient in manufacturing plastics, clothing, tires, electronics and more. From ear buds to trash bags, from cell phones to yoga pants, from breakfast to bedtime, we count on comforts and conveniences that wouldn't be possible without industry's building block: natural gas.

And that's in addition to helping meet Ontario's energy needs. Natural gas not only heats your home and water, it can also generate about 30 per cent of Ontario's electricity, powering our factories, buses and trucks. Cleanly. Affordably. Reliably. Life as we know it needs natural gas.

Mother and toddler brushing their teeth

Carbon monoxide: reduce the risk

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless gas produced when fuel–burning equipment doesn't burn or vent properly. It's very dangerous, and can cause headaches, shortness of breath, unconsciousness, brain damage and even death depending on the amount inhaled and length of exposure. So it's important to take steps to keep your family safe.

Mother and young daughter in bed reading a story
  1. Inspect

    Schedule an inspection of all your fuel-burning equipment by a Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) registered heating contractor every year. And be sure to have them make any necessary repairs.

  2. Detect — it's the law

    You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. That's why homeowners are now bound by law to install and maintain CO alarms. Since the majority of CO deaths occur while families are asleep, alarms must be installed near all sleeping areas.

    Please note: CO alarms do not detect natural gas leaks, which smell like rotten eggs or sulphur. To detect both natural gas and CO, you need a combined CO/natural gas alarm.

  3. Check

    Check regularly to make sure outside exhaust vents, flues and chimneys are kept clear of ice, nests or build–up.

    Visit uniongas.com/safety for more information.

Signs of CO exposure include dizziness, headaches, sleepiness or flu-like symptoms. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 and then have a TSSA registered heating contractor inspect all your fuel–burning equipment.