Start the new year off right with energy savings
Take advantage of Union Gas tools and incentives that will help you reduce your household energy use - and utility bills - all winter long. Use less, pay less. Happy New Year!
Make a resolution to cut your energy bills this year: for even more tips, visit uniongas.com/savemoney.
You can't see or taste natural gas so we made sure you can smell it.
A harmless gas called mercaptan is added to natural gas to make it smell like rotten eggs (or sulphur). So if there's a leak, you'll know it right away. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms will not pick up on it. But your nose will.
What to do if you smell that smell
- DO get everyone out of the home and away from the property immediately.
- DO call 911 or Union Gas at 1-877-969-0999 from outside or a neighbour's home.
- DON'T call from inside your home or garage.
- DON'T use electrical switches, appliances, lighters or matches and DON'T smoke.
- DON'T start any motors or motor vehicles on the property.
No energy source is safer or more reliable than natural gas.
Leaks are rare, but if one does occur, you need to know what to do to keep your home and family safe. For added protection, you can install a natural gas alarm or combination natural gas/CO alarm, available at most hardware stores.
Visit uniongas.com/safety to learn more about gas safety.