One dog bite is one too many

A couple children flying a kite on a nice day. Freesia flower

No pets, please

Secure your dog during scheduled meter reading and service calls.

Dogs behind a fence.

We love dogs as much as anyone. But a visit from a Union Gas representative for a meter reading or a service visit can surprise or threaten even the friendliest dog – leading to aggressive behaviour and, at times, bites.

Please ensure that your pet is safely secured and not blocking access to your gas meter or equipment. In Ontario, people are entitled to significant financial compensation if bitten and injured by a dog attack.

Here are some helpful tips to avoid a bad situation:

  1. Securely confine or remove your dog during scheduled meter reading and service visits.
  2. If the Union Gas representative is working outside, keep your dog inside your home. If your representative is working inside, keep your dog secured outside.
  3. If a representative must work near your dog, be sure it’s securely restrained or locked in a crate.
  4. Check your monthly bills for when Union Gas is scheduled to read your meter – it’s usually around the same day each month. On those days, please leave gates unlocked and keep your pets restrained.

Other tips to help keep representatives safe on your property:

  1. Post a Beware of Dog sign on your fence or house to avoid surprises.
  2. Leave a note on your gas meter confirming that you have a dog on property, and how and where it’s secured.
  3. When you get a new dog, call us toll-free at 1-888-774-3111 to let us know.

Go to our safety section for more information about keeping you and our representatives safe.


Odourless, colourless, tasteless, ruthless

Gas water heater

Carbon monoxide safety is vital. Always inspect fuel-burning equipment annually.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning inside your home can cause severe harm, even death. It builds up in your home as a result of malfunctioning or poorly vented fuel-burning equipment, such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, etc.

Here are a few useful safeguards to protect your family from CO poisoning:

  1. Ensure that all fuel-burning equipment is inspected annually and repaired by a Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) registered heating contractor.
  2. Install CO alarms on every level of your home, especially near where you sleep.
  3. Regularly check outside exhaust vents, flues and chimneys to be sure they’re free of nests, leaves or any other obstructions.
Carbon monoxide detector

By law, CO alarms are mandatory for every residence in Ontario, including single-family and semi-detached houses, townhomes, apartments, student housing and dormitories.

CO alarms only detect CO. Detecting a natural gas leak requires a natural gas alarm or a combined CO/natural gas alarm.

Indications of CO exposure include dizziness, headaches, sleepiness or flu-like symptoms. If you suspect CO poisoning, leave your home immediately, find a safe place to call 911, and then call a TSSA registered heating contractor to inspect all your fuel-burning equipment.

Go to our safety section to learn more about carbon monoxide safety.