Carbon Monoxide

Union Gas wants you to stay safe. Learn how to protect yourself and your family from Carbon Monoxide.

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas you can't see, smell or taste, which makes it very difficult to detect. Malfunctioning or poorly vented fuel-burning equipment can result in CO build-up in your home. This could cause serious harm to your family's health.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Know the symptoms

  • Headaches, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, burning eyes and/or confusion can all result from CO poisoning.
  • If you suspect CO in your home and someone is experiencing any of these symptoms, leave your house immediately and call 911 for medical attention.
  • Alert Union Gas or a TSSA-registered heating contractor to book an inspection.
  • If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off and you have no symptoms, open all doors and windows and contact a TSSA-registered heating contractor immediately.

Take the necessary steps to prevent CO poisoning

Natural Gas Technician inspecting a furnaceYour first step is getting your fuel-burning equipment inspected and serviced by a heating contractor registered with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA). We recommend you do this every year.

We recommend a combined CO/natural gas alarm that detects both CO and natural gas leaks, providing you with the highest level of safety.

Visit the Safety section of our website for more information about CO and natural gas safety, to keep your family safe.

Enter your question in sentence form.