Important information on what you should do in the event of flooding
Keeping the public safe during a flood
For your safety, Union Gas representatives will shut off customers natural gas supply in the affected area, where the gas meters can be safely accessed. We do not need to enter homes or business to do this.
If you smell natural gas or detect other signs of a gas leak, please take the following steps:
- Prevent sources of ignition. DO NOT touch electrical switches, light matches or candles, or use the phone.
- Exit the building immediately.
- From a safe area, phone Union Gas at 1-877-969-0999 or the fire department.
- DO NOT re-enter the building until it has been inspected. DO NOT attempt to relight appliances.
When gas is being turned back on after the water has receded
When the all-clear is given by officials, Union Gas representatives will go door-to-door to enter homes and businesses to restore your gas service and relight your natural gas appliances. DO NOT attempt to relight your own appliances. Appliances that were submerged in water it may not function safely and require an inspection by a licensed gas technician or contractor before reactivation.
Customers not home will have a card left in their door/mailbox with instructions to call Union Gas to schedule a gas relight.
To help us quickly and safely complete restoration, please note:
- We need inside access to every affected home or business.
- Our employees and contractors carry photo ID and will be happy to show it on request.
- An adult must be present to allow our employees to access your home or business to relight gas appliances.
- If you leave your home, please consider leaving your contact information with a neighbour. We will stop by several times and if we miss you, we will leave behind instructions about how to contact us.
- Turn your porch light off if you do not wish to be disturbed in the evening hours.
Union Gas will make a number of rounds of relights to ensure all customers are serviced, and will bring in additional crews, if needed, to restore service.
Frequently asked questions
In order to restore service, our utility service representatives must go door-to-door to enter each home and business to relight appliances. This can take some time, and it is not possible for us to provide exact timing for individual customers. We take steps to restore service as quickly as possible including bringing in additional help from surrounding areas, and working extended hours. For larger gas outages, updates on the restoration status are provided on Twitter (@enbridgegas).
If possible, please leave your contact information with a neighbour. We will stop by several times and if we miss you, we will leave behind instructions about how to contact us to restore your natural gas service when you return.
To ensure your family's safety, our trained utility service representative will relight your appliances. Please do not attempt to do so on your own. Appliances that were submerged in water it may not function safely and require an inspection by a licensed gas technician or contractor before reactivation.