Natural Gas Fireplaces
- Safety and Maintenance
Your most important source of safety and maintenance
information is your owner’s manual that comes with your new Natural Gas
Fireplace. Refer to it anytime you have a question or concern.
You should keep the following points in mind when you
are maintaining your natural gas fireplace:
Keep your owner's
manual and manufacturer's operating instructions close at hand.
Review the material on a regular basis to ensure safe operation.
If you are moving
into a new home with a brand new natural gas fireplace be sure the
unit is thoroughly cleaned the unit before enjoying it for the first time. The
reason? Drywall dust and other contaminants in the air can cause
harm to the fan, motor and burners.
Consult your owner's
manual to determine which maintenance tasks must be done by a
qualified HVAC contractor.
If children are
present be sure to keep them away from hot surfaces and remember, it
can take a while for the unit to cool off when it is turned off.
well away from your fireplace.
Do not wipe the glass
on your fireplace with a cloth when it is hot, it may crack and can
Ensure that fans and
air circulating passageways are clean and clear.
practice is to always have a carbon monoxide detector* installed
according to the detector instructions.
Be alert for unusual
odours or flames. These could be signs that repair is required. If
you smell gas, contact Union Gas immediately at 877-969-0999. If
servicing is required call an HVAC contractor or your retailer.
Keep external wall
vents clear of garden debris and snow.
Signs that your natural gas fireplace requires
Your natural gas fireplace should be serviced according to the
manufacturer's instructions. Stay alert for pilot light outages, slow
start up, soot or corrosion inside the fireplace or vent and for any
unusual odours or flames.
*For more information on carbon monoxide visit