Recipes - Miscellaneous
Sunrise pickled peppers
Gaye Musselman invited me to her Muskoka lakeside bed and breakfast for a terrific afternoon spent putting up these peppers.
- 9 lb (4 kg) red peppers
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) yellow peppers
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) orange peppers
1 gallon (4L) water
1 cup (250mL) coarse pickling salt
8 cups (2L) water
8 cups (2L) white vinegar
8 cups (2L) granulated sugar
4 tbsp (60mL) pickling spice
- Place 12 pint (500mL) canning jars and new lids in simmering water in canner or on a rack in a large pot to heat for 15 minutes to sterilize.
- Wash peppers and remove any bruised or decayed spots. Core and cut into 1 1/2-inch strips.
- Combine water and salt for brine and heat, covered, in large pot over high heat to boiling (about 15 minutes). Pour brine over peppers and let sit for one hour. Drain.
- Combine syrup ingredients in large pot over medium-low heat for 1/2 hour. Ladle 2/3 cup of syrup into a large skillet over high heat; add enough peppers to cover the bottom of the pan and cook, stirring, until syrup has become thick. Use sterilized tongs to pack peppers into jar. Remove any air bubbles by inserting a clean non-metal utensil between peppers and glass. Pour additional syrup into jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim. Clean rim of jar and center snap lid over top. Using fingers only, screw on band until tight.
- When jars are all filled, place in simmering water in canner and correct water level so it is 1-inch (2.5 cm) over tops of jars. Cover, bring to a boil and process for 20 minutes.
- Remove jars and let cool and rest for 24 hours. Check seals; lids should not move when pressed. Remove bands and wipe dry.
- Replace if desired, taking care not to break seal by over tightening.