back a little and save a lot!
Did you know that heating and cooling your
home accounts for 40% of your energy bill? That means there’s a
big opportunity for you to save money by heating and cooling
To maximize your energy savings without
sacrificing comfort, you can purchase a programmable thermostat from any manufacturer and install it in your home.
A programmable thermostat can be the ‘brain’ of your heating and
cooling energy efficiency plan. Once you set your thermostat you
can forget it. It raises and lowers the temperature in your home
automatically. For instance, you can lower your thermostat a few
degrees at bedtime or during the day when no one is home and
raise it to be warmer when you wake in the morning or come home
from work. Smart? Easy? It’s both, and it will save you hundreds
of dollars a year.
Programmable thermostats are a smart move
for improving your home’s comfort, while saving energy and
money. Lowering the temperature of your home by just a few
degrees will make a very big difference in your heating bill.
Remember, 1 degree lower means 1% savings! A programmable
thermostat makes a big energy difference in the summer too. Just
reverse the thinking – raise the thermostat a few degrees when
you’re out of the house so your air conditioning isn’t working
Programmable thermostats are easy to use.
Here are a few simple tips to maximize the benefit of your
- Keep the temperature set at its energy
savings set-points for long periods of time (At least eight
hours), for example, during the day when no one is at home
and through the night after bedtime.
- Install your programmable thermostat on
an interior wall, away from heating or cooling vents and
other sources of heat or drafts.
- Programmable thermostats typically have
2 types of hold features: (a) hold/permanent/vacation; (b)
temporary. Avoid using the hold/permanent/vacation feature
to manage day to day temperature settings.
- All thermostats let you temporarily
make your home warmer or cooler, without erasing the pre-set
programming. This override is cancelled automatically at the
next program period. You use more energy (and end up paying
more on energy bills) if you consistently “hold” or
over-ride the pre-programmed settings.
An ENERGY STAR programmable thermostat will
lead you to even more savings. You can choose to heat your home
in different ways throughout the day and night. An ENERGY
STAR thermostat has 4 important features:
1. ENERGY STAR rated programmable
thermostats have four temperature settings per day this allows
you to set the temperature specifically for different times in
the day (i.e. when you sleep)
2. It allows you to set the temperature
differently for different days of the week (i.e. weekends)
3. Temperature settings can be over-ridden
manually without disrupting the program you have set
4. An ENERGY STAR programmable thermostat
maintains the temperature in your home within 2 degrees of the
setting your choose, this eliminates uncomfortable temperature
swings in your home
Once you have installed your ENERGY STAR
programmable thermostat, all you have to do is relax and save
Download a $25 on-bill rebate coupon* for the purchase of a programmable thermostat from any manufacturer.
When you return this mail-in
rebate coupon, don’t forget to include a copy of the bill of
sale and the original UPC symbol (bar code) from the thermostat
$25 on-bill rebate applicable only to purchases made between Jan. 1,
2014 and December 31, 2014.
* This offer is not valid for customers that already
have a programmable thermostat installed.
Terms & Conditions
- Offer only available to residential homes that are
heated with natural gas furnace.
- Offer cannot be combined with any other Union Gas Programmable
- Include an active, valid Union Gas account number matched to your
address, a copy of the bill of sale for a programmable thermostat purchased between Jan. 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and the original UPC symbol (bar code) from the package. Must be post-marked no later than December 31, 2014.
- All requested information must be provided to receive a $25 credit on
your Union Gas bill.
- By taking part in this program, your central heating system may use
less natural gas and produce fewer emissions. You agree Union Gas may
record and claim ownership on any resulting emission reductions you have
along with those of other participating customers.
- Offer available on the purchase of a Programmable Thermostat from any manufacturer.
- Union Gas is not responsible for lost, late or misdirected mail.
- Please allow 8 weeks from the post-marked date to receive your $25
credit on your Union Gas bill.
- An auditor may contact you to validate that you have received and
installed your programmable thermostat. Beyond that, Union Gas does not
sell, rent or disclose customer information to third party