Natural Gas is... Affordable
Natural gas is the most affordable choice for meeting Ontario's growing energy needs. Homeowners who heat their homes and water with natural gas save about $1,700 per year compared to using electricity or oil. And businesses save even more!
- Massive deposits found in North America mean affordable prices
- Typical Ontario homeowners spent about $400 less on natural gas in 2012 than they did just five years ago (savings are greater for businesses and industry)
- Low cost, efficient technologies ensure natural gas will stay affordable for decades to come
Natural Gas is... Clean
When it comes to generating electricity, natural gas is one of the cleanest choices out there. It'll substantially reduce Ontario’s carbon footprint and is the ideal complement to renewable energy sources like wind and solar.
- Natural gas is the cleanest burning conventional fuel, with less than half of the CO2 emissions of coal and oil
- Natural gas also produces significantly lower emissions of nitrogen oxides - a pre-cursor to smog - and particulate matter than coal and oil
- Plus, natural gas fuelled electricity generation requires less land compared to other alternatives
Natural Gas is... Driving Economic Growth
Natural gas can help build a brighter future for Ontario. Ontario needs to take steps to fully embrace and promote the benefits that affordable, clean and abundant natural gas offers our economy.
- Electricity generation – Natural gas is the second largest source of supply in Ontario's energy mix and continues to play an important role as we eliminate coal
- Mining – Natural gas has a number of significant benefits for mining and processing in northern Ontario as it generates electricity and directly powers industrial processes
- Transportation – Low prices have renewed interest in liquefied (LNG) and compressed (CNG) natural gas as transportation fuel
- Steel – Increased exploration is creating demand for steel products including pipes, tubes and joints used in natural gas drilling, while replacing coal in the industry's blast furnaces in places like Hamilton
Natural Gas does far more than keep you warm and generate electricity to keep the lights on.
Visit cleanandaffordable.ca today to find out more about why clean-burning and abundant natural gas is the best energy for Ontario's future.